Thursday, September 10, 2020



    Over the long weekend, I made a rough draft version inventory of my typewriters. Why? Why not?

    Actually, there are two reasons. Firstly, I wanted to see what I'd spent so far, but would rather not say. Just know that I don't go searching eBay anymore. This keeps the cost down and allows a more natural pace of growth.

    Secondly, and more importantly, I want to fulfill my apparent destiny and become a Typewriter Hunter! I hope that making this list will help me stay organized as I go through the process of uploading typewriters to my digital collection.

    Admittedly, I'm in over my head with the current number of machines. It could be a slow process uploading every one. The advice of Anne Lamott's book Bird by Bird  applies to writing and, I think, also to this process. I plan to take it slow and just go one typewriter at a time.


Ouch! Strangled by her own drawband!

From the front--yeeeesh!

    Also, I helped a troubled typer by playing amateur repair woman. This Smith Corona Silent wasn't advancing properly when I found her at an estate sale last fall for $8. The old inflexible drawband slipped off the spool and got itself wound around underneath. Ouch! I managed to untangle the drawband and get it advancing again, but will need to seek professional help in the future to really make her sing once again.



3 comments: